The Lead Research Engineer is a member of the Corporate Research & Technology’s, Power Systems Technologies department, reporting to the Technology Manager.
Eaton’s Corporate Research and Technology (CRT) has an exciting and rewarding position of a Lead Research Engineer in Power Conversion and Power Systems to initiate, lead, and support research and technology development in emerging technology programs. The job function includes identifying market opportunities for the developed new technologies, support businesses to evaluate market studies and develop business cases. The individual will also identify internal and external funding resource, lead discussions with national labs and university leaders to be on top of the key technologies identified. A key role will be to lead customer relationships, present ideas and projects to Eaton business leaders and CRT leadership. A good blend of technical knowledge and strong business acumen is required to be successful in this position. The successful candidate will be reporting to the Technology Manager for PST. This position is in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.
Basic Qualifications (Including Educational Requirements)
- Create emerging power conversion & power system solutions based on breakthrough technologies for electrical, automotive, truck, and aerospace applications, as a technical leader.
- Lead and develop technology projects by working with teams (local and remote resources) and external technology resources (Business Divisions, Universities and Customers).
- Advance state of the art power electronics, power systems, and power converter technologies, as well as identify and develop commercialization opportunities with diverse Eaton businesses.
- Lead and collaborate with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural globally distributed teams.
- Identify, analyze, develop and validate advanced technologies in the fields of power conversion and Power Systems.
- Initiate, lead and support global technology programs utilizing Eaton’s product development processes including Gate Reviews, Technology Reviews, and Project Reviews.
- Participate in technology strategy development along with Eaton’s Businesses and develop technology road maps.
- Lead and support technology development projects and manage global teams (Eaton Business Divisions, Universities, and Customers).
- Create project plans, manage budgets and resources, and deliver results on budget and schedule.
- Engage with and manage stakeholder relationships - Business Divisions in the US and globally.
- Manage large projects with partners from national labs, universities and other research institutes.
- Build global organizational capabilities in power conversion and power systems.
- Master’s degree in engineering from an accredited institution.
- 3 years’ industrial or entrepreneurial experience.
- 3 years of experience in low and medium voltage power conversion and power systems engineering, including creating specifications, defining application space, designing technical solution concepts, and building and testing prototypes to validate models/hypotheses.
- Demonstrated expertise in the following areas: microgrids; high-power electronics; energy storage, and grid connected converters; alternative power generation and distribution; power systems and electric machine controls; more electric concepts and electrification of vehicles, aerospace and hydraulics.
- 3 years of experience in modeling power converters and power systems using simulation tools (example: MATLAB/Simulink, PLECS, Simplorer, PSIM and/or PSCAD).
- PhD in related fields.
- 5 years of entrepreneurial experience or related commercial experience.
- Experience in leading government funded projects and proposals.
- Experience with power distribution system design, analysis and protection.
- Experience with real time simulators such as DSPACE, OPAL-RT and/or RTDS.
- Experience in power electronic packaging techniques; understanding of the effects of parasitic capacitance/inductance on circuit performance, familiarity with techniques for the minimization and/or control of parasitics, familiarity with voltage creepage and clearance requirements and various insulation and interconnection techniques; familiarity with various power electronic component cooling techniques, etc.
- Experience with C++, HDL and/or other real-time control development software/firmware.
- Certified DFSS Green Belt or Black Belt.
- Strong technical publication and/or invention record.
- Consistently acts in an ethical, open, honest, trustworthy and truthful manner
- Proven track record in taking technologies from concepts to validated product applications.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Appreciation for the trade-offs necessary to achieve "real-world" (e.g. manufacturable, testable, repairable, reliable) designs to meet performance and cost objectives.
- Experience with proven track record in new product development with multiple stakeholders in a matrixed organizations.
- Business acumen with proven record of formulating value proposition.
- Excellent English communication and presentation skills (oral and written).
- Demonstrated technology leadership.
- Collaborative orientation. The ability to succeed in a highly team oriented environment.
- Globally astute. Understands how to adapt communication style to fit different cultures.
- Self-motivated and goal oriented individual.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, drive for results, and managerial courage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in dealing with management, employees, customers and suppliers. Senior management level communication and presentation skills.
Eaton is a power management company with 2015 sales of $20.9 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 97,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit www.eaton.com. At Eaton, we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently—if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you—then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information, visit www.eaton.com/careers. Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.