Eaton’s Lighting Division within our Electrical Sector is seeking a Design Engineer. The Design Engineer will be based at our Aurora, CO facility.
The Design Engineer (mechanical engineering and project management) will be participating in a fast-paced Lighting Fixture development cycle to solve unique lighting industry challenges to achieve accelerated implementation of product extensions, while also conforming to all regulatory requirements. The position will have project leadership responsibility and as necessary interface with other personnel in engineering, product management, sourcing, suppliers, manufacturing and others within Eaton’s Lighting when additional support is required.
Basic Qualifications (Including Educational Requirements)
- Product design, part detailing, prototype procurement for luminaires from preliminary concept through implementation into manufacturing for LED products. The engineer will be expected to work on both new product concepts as well as refinements on existing product lines.
- Prototype assembly and testing for new products and design improvements.
- Design and implement custom products, mounting, and options that conform to Eaton’s Lighting engineering and safety standards.
- Work with all stakeholders to ensure that final product design meets photometric, cosmetic, optical, UL, electrical, mechanical, cost, safety and options requirements.
- Lead meetings, design reviews & tollgate reviews on product development with an emphasis on safety, quality, budget and schedule.
- Accurately create bill of materials, drawings, and instructions for vendors and manufacturing.
- Maintain all product documentation in Enterprise System.
- Review and analyze product configurations and components, design circuits, perform engineering calculations, and provide input to other departments including purchasing, manufacturing and sales.
- Participate in company activities such as product design, market and product improvements, cost reduction programs, productivity, quality, and safety improvements.
- Serve as a liaison with the production organization to facilitate smooth introductions on new products and coordinate updates to current product offerings
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of two years’ engineering experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of 1 years’ experience in new product development, sustaining, or manufacturing role.
- Minimum of 2 years of design experience using SolidWorks.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50 mile radius of the Aurora, CO location will be considered.
- Experience within the lighting or electrical manufacturing industry preferred.
- Prior project management experience.
- 2 years' experience designing for a manufacturing environment.
- Wiring/Circuits knowledge and the ability to create proper wiring diagrams.
- Experience creating part drawings for manufacturing.
- FMEA experience.
- Experience with the UL certification process
- Ideal candidate has a good understanding of manufacturing processes. Solid working knowledge of sheet metal fabrication, injection molding, extrusion, casting and other fabrication processes.
- Comfortable with technology and has a strong working knowledge of MS office suite, MS Project and SolidWorks
- Effective verbal & written communication skills to interface with managers, vendors, customers and peers.
- Must have an analytical and process-driven approach, with a high attention to detail.
- Capability in multi-tasking, including prioritization of work and management/organization of time.
- Ability to manage projects effectively.
- Strong drive for results is essential, with self-directed leadership, requiring minimal supervision & being proactive.
- Must possess high ethical standards and be comfortable working in a fast paced, changing environment.
- Ability to perform all job functions in adherence to Eaton’s philosophy and values, ethics, policies as well as the Environmental, Health and Safety standards.
Eaton is a power management company with 2015 sales of $20.9 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 97,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit www.eaton.com. At Eaton, we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently—if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you—then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information, visit www.eaton.com/careers. Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.