Effective January 1, 2018, this role will be employed by Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technology Joint Venture.
Eaton Corporation, located in Galesburg, MI, has an opening for a Systems Engineering Manager.
Provide engineering management and leadership for the Requirements Engineering function of the Commercial powertrain business(CPT). Manage and develop a team of engineering professionals, project and program schedules with cross functional participation from business, engineering, program management, sales, marketing, technical service, customer engineering, etc. to ensure development of strong product requirements and analysis. Drive systems engineering tools and process to fully support analysis first and faster time to market utilizing state of art systems engineering practices and tools. Coordinate deliverables with multiple product line owners, multiple integration teams and validation teams for multiple product lines. Build requirements engineering capability within the CPT organization.
Basic Qualifications (Including Educational Requirements)
- Supervises and manages the department activities within the Systems Requirements Engineering team, establishes priorities within the scope of the group’s responsibility, and conducts regular reviews of group projects and activities to ensure delivery of profit plan objectives and business commitments.
- Builds organizational capability by conducting regular performance evaluations for direct reports. Facilitates career discussions with subordinates and creates appropriate development plans to ensure continuous growth of talent and capability within the organization.
- Champions changes to current procedures and develops new procedures to ensure continuous improvement of engineering processes and business systems.
- Leads initiatives to evaluate and provide competitive assessment and industry trends through business intelligence gathering activities. Remains knowledgeable and informed regarding state-of-the-art technology and transfers this into tangible contributions.
- Prepares comprehensive reports and presentations, and communicates this information to leadership, customers, partners, etc., in a clear and concise manner.
- Provides input to profit plan to define project and program deliverables and accurately assess timelines, and resources to accomplish these objectives. Tracks progress on a regular basis to enable monthly reporting of variance to plan.
- Interfaces with product planning and other business functions to ensure customer requests and requirements are captured in the strategic planning and portfolio management processes. Drives common cross functional understanding of market and customer requirements.
- Contributes to strategic direction and advancement of current functional technology and development of new technology and product feature sets, to drive value propositions that command a premium for the associated products.
- Leads and coordinates engineering projects and programs with external partners, suppliers, academia, and customers to develop technology solutions to meet internal and external customer requirements.
- Drives the use of tools such as 8D, FTA, DFMEA, and DFSS/Six Sigma design techniques to ensure development of robust design specifications, guidelines, processes, and validation plans that produce robust design solutions.
- Partners with global product teams, industry consultants, and contractors to execute on warranty reduction, reliability improvement and new product development programs.
- Lead strategic technology initiatives relating to reducing time/cost and improving quality of product validation
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical, Electronics or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum 7 years (5 years if Masters of Engineering) of Commercial Vehicle or Automotive engineering experience.
- Minimum 2 years of engineering experience in Systems, Controls or Embedded software development
- Leadership experience of managing people or projects.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship
- 2+ years engineering management and leadership experience with proven track record.
- Strong knowledge of, heavy-duty truck or automotive drivetrain/powertrain systems.
- Experience with SysML tools and process.
- Understanding of global commercial vehicle markets and key customer drivers.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
Eaton is a power management company with 2015 sales of $20.9 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 97,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit www.eaton.com. At Eaton, we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently—if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you—then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information, visit www.eaton.com/careers. Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.