Eaton has an opening for the Mechanical Engineer- New Product Development in Lighting Division for the creative development of new recessed products. This position will be based in our Peachtree City, GA facility.
Eaton’s Lighting solutions division is an industry-leading manufacturer of lighting products for commercial, industrial, residential, utility and retail markets. We are at the forefront in transforming the lighting industry and setting an unmatched standard for innovation and reliability. As the lighting industry expands beyond the traditional solutions of the past, no one is better equipped to help customers navigate the complexities of Connected Lighting, where fixtures will control more than ever imagined. No one will do more to empower customers with the innovations, technology and resources they need to meet the challenges of the future.
This position will have the responsibility of the overall mechanical design of the product. This will include design of the necessary components and the structural and thermal analysis of the product. This position will work closely with the Recessed Program Manager, Marketing Manager, Optical Design Group, Electrical Engineering, Sourcing, and Manufacturing personnel to develop the products in an organized and expedient fashion. The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for meeting the overall project schedule and budget. Presentation of each stage and completion of the project through the utilization of the Eaton PROLaunch (Six-Sigma) process is required. This role encompasses collaborating with all aspects of product development including the mechanical and electrical team working groups, research into new technologies, and protecting our research investment by filing intellectual property. The candidate will possess excellent hands on technical and communication skills with a proven track record of delivering positive results. This position will play a critical role in ensuring Eaton delivers a high quality product, using world class development processes and rigorous validation testing in one of Eaton’s fastest growing business segments.
Basic Qualifications (Including Educational Requirements)
- Coordinate with marketing to ensure project specifications are clear, complete, achievable, and consistent with voice of the customer.
- Ensures design progression via CAD modeling reviews, thermal and mechanical analysis, drawing and model retention, testing plan creation, test review, and coordinate with internal and third-party compliance.
- Ensures project tooling budget and product cost requirements are being met.
Coordinates with Sourcing personnel to ensure vendors are identified, quotations are being obtained and quality standards/form deliverables are being met.
- Coordinates with manufacturing personnel to ensure production site has been identified, production equipment and other requirements are being put in place, and production readiness is achieved both for internal and supplier plants.
- Conduct design reviews as well as utilize Design and Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA, PFMEA) sessions to Identify project risks and develop response plans in conjunction with other team members and present the project status at PROLaunch.
Protect intellectual property created during the design process through patent disclosures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years product design experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with 3-D modeling software
- A minimum of 2 years of product design experience with recessed lighting fixtures
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar from an accredited institution
- Master’s Degree in Engineering
- A minimum of 3 years of product design experience with lighting fixtures
- Working knowledge of LED product design including understanding of electrical parameters and thermal behaviors
- Basic understanding of electrical engineering principles
- Familiarity with all design, manufacturing and regulatory (UL, CE, etc.) aspects of LED lighting systems for general lighting
- Strong work ethic, flexibility, and a desire to actively contribute to the group’s success.
- Experience with and proven knowledge of injection molded plastic, die cast, sheet metal design, manufacturing methods & processes
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with and demonstrated proficiency with Solidworks 3-D modeling software
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- Well-developed and demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as member of a team.
Eaton is a power management company with 2016 sales of $19.7 billion. We provide energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. Eaton has approximately 95,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit Eaton.com. At Eaton we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently – if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you – then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information visit www. Eaton.com/careers.