Eaton in Peachtree City, GA is seeking a Firmware Engineer with a specialization in microprocessor control systems to join our engineering department in our Lighting Division. This is a hands-on design intensive role that will directly contribute to the development of our new lighting and lighting control products.
You will be working in a dynamic and fast paced team environment, using your knowledge of embedded software to design new products. You will be involved in the complete development cycle seeing your design evolve from a technical specification into a finished product. Detailed technical collaboration with the full cross functional development team will require strong / ongoing communication. Maintaining our market leading position will challenge your creativity and design skills.
Basic Qualifications (Including Educational Requirements)
- Develop Engineering and Software Specification for Lighting Control Products.
- Code firmware that enables the launch of new products including digital signal processing, control theory, proprietary or standards based communication protocols, FPGA’s and at times implementation of a control device on extremely low cost silicon.
- Actively coordinate the embedded design with the electrical, power and enterprise software architecture throughout the product development cycle.
- Actively coordinate the user experience vision and the embedded design throughout the product development cycle.
- Ensure new products meet our customer’s needs:
- Understand the customer needs by working with product management
- Ensure the product specifications are complete, accurate and achievable
- Design solutions that fulfill these needs and meet regulatory requirements
- Validate the design through design reviews, product testing and detailed analysis
- Incorporate support for the manufacturing, commissioning and ongoing maintenance of the product / system
- Protect intellectual property through patent disclosures
- Active communication with the cross functional team to ensure schedule, cost and performance alignment
- Support our team of global field commissioning engineers with technical challenges
- Search for technologies which would improve product performance, reduce development time or reduce cost
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- 5 years of relevant embedded product design experience
- 5 years of experience in C/C++ Language programming
- MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Experience in wired networking and communication protocols – Ethernet, USB, RS485, CAN
- Experience in Linux OS for embedded applications
- Experience debugging microprocessor firmware using lab equipment such as logic analyzers, serial data analyzers and oscilloscopes
- Experience with UL, IEC and FCC standards
- Experience with revision control systems, preferably SVN or GIT
- Experience in firmware development lifecycle
- SVN, GIT, Mercurial
- Ethernet, USB, RS485, CAN
- Knowledge of RF, digital and simple analog circuits
- Using lab equipment such as logic analyzers, serial data analyzers and oscilloscopes
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Skilled in writing specifications and end-user documentation
Eaton is a power management company with 2015 sales of $20.9 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 97,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit www.eaton.com. At Eaton, we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently—if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you—then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information, visit www.eaton.com/careers. Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.